Saturday, November 28, 2009

Massive Attack to my heart. It's about time.

I'm happy to admit that "Mezzanine" by Massive Attack continues to be one of THE most played albums in my collection of music. It's been about seven years - six years too long - since legendary trip-hop duo Massive Attack released their last album.
The band is set to release their fifth studio album "Heligoland" in February 2010. Last month, we did get a taste of what's to come as the duo released a 4-song EP "Splitting the Atom."

I like the direction they've taken; it's mature and definitely displays progression. It does exclude, however, the seductive body that "Mezzanine" seems to engulf me with. It's not bad, just different. And I do love it when bands change, experiment and grow. I just need to remind myself that what I'm about to hear isn't going to be what I originally fell in love with - and that's okay.

The current standing tracklist is below. Check out the all-star cast of guest vocals - Damon Albarn, Hope Sandoval, Martina Topley-Bird, Guy Garvey and Tunde Adebimpe. I'm pleased.

"Heligoland" Tracklist
01. Pray for Rain [ft.Tunde Adebimpe]
02. Babel [ft. Martina Topley-Bird]
03. Splitting The Atom [ft. Robert del Naja, Grant Marshall, and Horace Andy]
04. 16 Seater [ft. Horace Andy]
05. Psyche [ft. Martina Topley-Bird]
06. Bulletproof Love [ft. Guy Garvey]
07. Paradise Circus [ft. Hope Sandoval]
08. Rush Minute [ft. Robert del Naja]
09. Saturday Come Slow [ft. Damon Albarn]
10. Marrakesh [ft. Robert del Naja]

Something old: "Black Milk"
Something new: "Psyche (ft. Martina Topley-Bird)"

No comments: